Thanks so much for looking. Be sure to leave a comment, if you think it would encourage my heart.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Daily in December


I just LOVE this time of year. There is just something about December that makes me giggle with delight and be excited about every, single day. I love the lights. I love the sounds. I love the smells. I love the smiles. I love the snow (even if we RARELY see any around here before February). I love the music. I love the decorations. I love the fun. I love the parties. I love the excitement in the eyes of kids. I love the movies. I love it all. I am glad it is here. 

We are counting the days. I love this advent/countdown Santa calendar that I bought sixteen years ago. I am so glad I did.

We decided to minimize the decorations this year, and I have to say that I am very pleased with the results. It was easy to do, but more than that, I think it is going to help us keep our focus on Christ. 






Even our Christmas tree is minimal. It is small, but we all love it. It bears only lights, a few berries, and fewer pine cones. Kylee wanted to put all the ornaments on it, but she is warming up to it without them. She does have a tree in her room that holds all of her ornaments and colored lights. Mike chose not to put up his tree this year. His ornaments and tree are packed away in a tote in the attic. Too much work for very little return, in his mind. Enough about trees. 




Bob and Emma arrived yesterday. They are the elves that report to Santa about what is happening in the Harper Home. They help us remember to treat others the way we want to be treated. They also get into mischief each night. They are silly, little elves. Yesterday they left some candy and a note that instructed, "By the end of the day, Give all of your candy away." Mike and Kylee did it without crying. Much. It was a blessing to see them give to others what they wanted to keep for themselves. It was a blessing to see the recipients of the candy light up too. Kylee even stepped outside of her comfort zone and gave to the librarians at our public library.








We are making journals this month. I can hardly wait to share them with you this month. I don't know if my family is as thrilled as I am, but I look forward to adding to it each day. You'll never guess where I got the idea.

We are also getting to know Jesus a little better this month. If Christmas is Jesus, we should know more about Him. Wanna join us?

Yesterday we read Luke 8: 41-56 and talked about the compassion that Jesus had while here on earth. So thankful that He did (and still does). It is so humbling when you begin to realize just how much you need compassion every day. It is definitely something that I need to practice giving. Kylee had compassion yesterday with a friend. It was a blessing to my heart. Mike had compassion last night when he cooked a pot of soup for the family. Big Mike had compassion last night when he made a run for drinks and a snack because the soup wasn't the best. (Not the cooks fault, at all.) I am thankful for each example. What about you? Had an opportunity to show compassion lately? Teach me. Inspire me.



findJoyintheJourney
-kym^

2 comments:

Harper said...

Awesome as always, Babe! I really, really look forward to reading your latest blog entry. Love you!

Kylee said...

Mom your blog is so amazing. I hope more and more people come to look at it. I do like our house it's lookin good and the Christmas coutdown has been a blast